Supplemental Hardship Fund Payment: Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible for this payment?

  • Anyone who is alive and has been approved for a Hardship Fund Payment OR received a one-time payment from the BEG and does not receive a pension as compensation for persecution during the Holocaust. 

If I receive a pension from the Claims Conference (Article 2), the Israeli Authority for the Rights of Holocaust Survivors, or BEG, am I eligible?

  • You are not eligible for the Supplemental Hardship Payment if you receive a pension as compensation for Nazi persecution. You are eligible if you received a one-time payment from the BEG, even if this payment was over 5,000 DM. 

Do I have to file a claims form to receive this payment?

  • Yes, you must submit an application form to be eligible for this payment. The Claims Conference mailed personalized pre-populated application forms to potentially eligible survivors. If you think you are eligible and did NOT receive an application form in the mail by January 31, 2021, please contact us at the Claims Conference office nearest you.

How can I send in my application form?

  • Applications can be sent by mail, fax, and email.

Please send your applications to one of the following fax numbers and emails:

Via Fax:

  • +1-646-536-9159 (New York)
  • +972-03-679-6281 (Tel Aviv)
  • +49-69-72-1104 (Frankfurt)

Via Email:

How much money will I receive?

  • The fund will pay eligible claimants two supplemental payments, each in the amount of €1,200 for a total of €2,400. There will be two installments, the first at the end of 2020 or in early 2021 and the second will be paid in 2022.

What if I moved since I last was in contact with the Claims Conference?

  • We are accepting address changes via mail, and will begin accepting address changes over the phone starting January 3, 2021. Please call the Claims Conference nearest you for assistance.

If I am an authorized representative, can I submit an address change for a claimant?

Yes, you need to mail us a copy of the following:

  • A photocopy of a document granting legal guardianship/power of attorney
  • A photocopy of the authorized representative’s government-issued ID
  • A copy of the claimant’s government-issued ID.

 Does my application need to be certified?

  • Your application will explicitly state if it needs to be certified, or if we require various additional documents (such as a photocopy of your government ID and birth certificate). If you have any questions about your specific application after receiving it please contact us at:

Via Phone:

  • 1-646-536-9100 (United States)
  • +972-(3)-519-4400 (Tel Aviv from outside Israel)
  • 03-519-4400 (Tel Aviv from within Israel)
  • +49 69 970 7010 (Frankfurt)

Via Email:

If I am a child or spouse of a Hardship Fund recipient or survivor, can I receive this supplemental payment?

  • No, the Supplemental Payment can only be paid to eligible survivors.

Are there any heir payments?

  • Yes, if the survivor applied and is found eligible but passes away before the payment could be made, the surviving spouse may be entitled.  If there is no surviving spouse, children may be eligible. No other heirs are eligible. Surviving spouses and children should contact the Claims Conference. 

Is there a deadline for applying?

  • The deadline to apply is December 31, 2022.

Can the Supplemental Payment be sent to me by a check?

  • No, we are not able to send checks, you must have a bank account opened in your name.

Do you need my bank information?

  • Yes, payment will be wired to your bank account. Please fill out the bank details in the personalized application. Please note that if you are a resident of Russia, Ukraine, or Belarus, no banking information is needed, as payment will be issued through Alfa Bank, Privat Bank, and the Belarus Foundation.

Do I need to complete a Life Certificate to get the Supplemental Hardship Payment?

  • There is no need to complete a Life Certificate, but you must be alive as of December 1, 2020 or at the time of that you submit your Supplemental Hardship application (the latest of the two) to receive the payment.

Do I need a lawyer?

  • You do not need a lawyer to apply for the Supplemental Hardship Payment.

Is there a fee to obtain an application?

  • There is no fee to apply to the Supplemental Hardship Fund.

I think I’m eligible, but I never applied to the Claims Conference before?