The Claims Conference and the WJRO are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Washington Representative based in Washington, DC. The Washington Representative will educate, raise awareness, and share information regarding Claims Conference and WJRO interests with Congressional staff, the Administration and foreign governments represented by their Embassies located in Washington, DC. Additionally, s/he will help in the effort to secure restitution of Holocaust-era private and communal Jewish property. The position will involve foreign travel.
- Engage in activities to maintain relations with Congress, including relevant Senators and Representatives, staff members of key Congressional committees and committee groups;
- Raise awareness and educate Congressional staff on Holocaust Era compensation and restitution;
- Prepare reports and inform the WJRO and Claims Conference leadership on key Federal activities and developments within Congress, the Administration and key Agencies.
- Maintain relations with U.S. State Department and other relevant government agencies;
- Maintain relations with the Helsinki Commission;
- Develop a network of contacts with policymakers and other members of public office;
- Participate in negotiations with target countries regarding restitution;
- Represent the Claims Conference and WJRO at meetings with visiting foreign officials;
- Track and record developments regarding Holocaust restitution in relevant countries for both the Claims Conference and the WJRO;
- Develop ongoing relationships with various media;
- Act as a liaison with other relevant Jewish organizations.
- Undergraduate degree; graduate degree preferred in Government Affairs, Public Policy, Law or related fields;
- Minimum five years of working for or with the US Government;
- Ability to comprehend legislation and to effectively communicate complex regulatory subjects to others;
- Historical knowledge of World War II and the Holocaust;
- Preferred experience in working with Jewish communal organizations;
- Superior verbal and written communication skills;
- Superior analytical skills;
- Advanced interpersonal skills;
- Ability to build strong working relationships with individuals across the political and advocacy spectrum;
- Ability to influence key internal and external decision makers.
To apply please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or FAX resume to 212.685.4732. No phone calls, please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.